An activity where students were given half of a proverb/saying and were asked to complete it with what they thought was missing.
- A rolling stone is a rock group
- It is always darkest before the rain
- Strike while they strike you first
- The squeaking wheel gets hit
- You can lead a horse to water, but don’t ride it
- No news is a bad sign
- The pen is mightier than the pencil
- A penny saved is a good start
- Every cloud has water (some students are just so literal!)
- Don’t put all your eggs in the pan
And one more. This is an expression that also exists in Spanish and the student finished the proverb with a translation of what is said in Spanish: A bird in the hand is better than one hundred flying.